A good gas oven almost becomes a friend over time. You know it perfectly, because even if to an inexperienced eye it might seem the same as many others, performances or “whims” will never be the same for everyone.
By now, gas ovens for pizzerias, gastronomy, pastry shops or for cooking materials have nothing to envy to models powered by wood or electrically.
They are, in fact, able to satisfy any need of catering professionals or artisans by offering accurate control of both temperature and humidity.
The gas ovens for professional use are designed and manufactured to obtain the maximum in the cooking phase, which can be considered one of the most important moments in the preparation of dishes or in the creation of artifacts.
Among the strengths of this type of ovens, there is undoubtedly the reduction in energy consumption, ease of use and speed in reaching high temperatures.
But what are the qualities and requirements to consider in order to choose the best model, the one that best suits your business and your way of working?
Before answering this question, let’s find out how these tools work and what are the characteristics that a professional gas oven must have to be efficient and last over time.
- Gas powered pizza oven: how do they work?
- 7 characteristics to look for in a professional gas oven
- Dimensions and capacity of the oven suitable for your business
- Insulation and cooking stability
- Cooking temperatures and rapid heating
- Optional for the oven and availability of spare parts
- Customized functions and programs for different preparations
- Production capacity and automation
- Installation and maintenance of gas powered pizza ovens
- A solution for every need
- Gas powered pizza oven: practical, economical and safe
- Gas ovens for pastry, bakery and gastronomy
- Why choose a gas oven?
- Professional gas oven for cooking ceramic and porcelain
- Ultimately: what is the best gas powered pizza oven?
Gas powered pizza oven: how do they work?
Often if the room you have already has all the requirements, and is in compliance with the law to be able to install a gas-fired oven, you are oriented towards this type of instrument.
At first glance they might look similar to electric models, but what makes the difference is the way the heat is generated.
Gas ovens are equipped with burners located below the cooking surface which transmit the heat produced by distributing it in the cooking chamber.
The heat diffusion process takes place both by radiation and by convection, thanks to the movement of hot air that is created inside the cooking chamber.
The temperature is adjusted thanks to a knob or a display connected to a sensor usually placed at half height on the back wall.
When the oven is turned on, the burner works at maximum power, but once the desired degrees are reached, this is decreased with the aim of producing only the heat necessary to maintain the desired temperature constant.
The ability to quickly and quickly adjust and increase the degrees in the chamber, in a simple and immediate way, makes this type of instrument more functional than wood-burning models, especially if gas ovens for pizza are taken into consideration.
In fact, in wood-fired ovens, raising the temperature in the event of a sudden influx of customers would not be such an immediate and fast operation.
This, both for the lower cost of the raw material and because the burner after reaching the set temperature keeps it constant throughout cooking by modulating the intensity of the flame, without resorting to continuous, how expensive, shutdowns and ignitions.
7 specs to look for in a professional gas oven
Each activity has its own needs related to the sector, the size of the oven, and the modus operandi of the professional.
Yet there are some characteristics that well-made and well-designed professional gas ovens have in common.
Knowing how to recognize and identify them can prove useful in the purchase phase, so as to be able to make a choice as prudent and aware.
In general, when choosing the oven, factors such as:
- The size and capacity
- The insulation and cooking stability
- The cooking temperatures and the speed of heating
- The options available and the availability of spare parts
- Customizable functions and programs
- The production capacity and the level of automation
- Ease of installation and maintenance
1. Dimensions and capacity of the oven suitable for your business
The capacity of an oven is evaluated based on the number of chambers, their depth and the number of trays they can contain (objects in the case of ovens used for cooking materials that we will see later). It goes without saying that the dimensions will have to vary according to the production to be made.
The height of the rooms can also vary, for example, in the pastry shops, the lower rooms are suitable for baking biscuits, while the higher ones are ideal for leavened products.
In general, it can be said that the height of the cooking chamber must be defined according to the type of product to be cooked.
In evaluating the best gas powered pizza oven size for your business, three variables should therefore be evaluated:
- Space available in the room where the instrument will be placed
- Production capacity needed to meet demand
- Size of the product to be cooked
If you are considering the purchase of a gas powered tunnel oven, calculating the footprint well is essential.
These instruments, in fact, take up more space than traditional models, although on the market it is also possible to find extremely compact gas tunnel ovens that can be integrated into any automatic production line.
In particular, for tunnel ovens it is the length that must be taken into consideration. The difference, compared to normal gas ovens, is given precisely by this characteristic, while as regards the width, there are no significant changes.
Obviously, the larger the kiln, the greater the potential production, as productivity is closely related to the size of the model purchased.
2. Insulation and cooking stability
A non-negligible feature in the choice of any oven concerns the invoice of the insulation.
The materials with which the different models have been made must in fact keep the heat inside the chamber and ensure the stability of the set temperature and uniform cooking.
Having a cooking chamber in aluminized steel sheet, for example, due to the intrinsic characteristics of the material that make it an excellent conductor, will be able to guarantee excellent performance and better manage heat.
Well-designed insulation and the use of quality materials for the coating ensure optimal thermal insulation capable of avoiding costly heat loss.
3. Cooking temperatures and rapid heating
According to the needs of each sector, gas powered pizza oven can reach different maximum temperatures. These can vary from 450 ° C for pizza ovens to 1550 ° C for those used for firing ceramics.
In the later case, the instrument must be equipped with special high-speed burners with turbine and designed to allow adequate pressurization inside the chamber to ensure perfect temperature uniformity.
It is therefore important, before making a choice, to be clear on how many degrees the oven will have to reach during the day and the level of control necessary to obtain excellent production.
Some ovens offer the possibility of regulating the temperature in each zone, so as to give homogeneous cooking to the products, while others allow you to keep the humidity level in the chamber under control.
4. Optional for the oven and availability of spare parts
In the daily management of restaurants, pizzerias, delicatessens or pastry shops, the accessories and products for the care and maintenance of the oven allow you to always get the most from your workmate.
From the wheels equipped with brakes to the accessories for arranging and transporting the trays to be cooked and the plates to be regenerated, there are several solutions designed to make the oven more versatile.
It is therefore worth considering the possible features of the options, and then choose according to personal needs:
- Controls: intuitive and easy to use, they can provide for safe shutdown in case of overheating, hyper-technological functions or easily removable knobs, etc.
- Safety: less heat loss towards the outside, ergonomic and heat-resistant handle, door with quick flag closure
- Exhaust air pipes: good supply and exhaust in the cooking chamber, or vent port
- Special equipment: oven support equipped with tray shelves and comfortable wheels with brakes, heated base, door stop on the left instead of right, window for visual control of cooking, trays of multiple sizes for pastry and bakery, etc.
Finally, it is always good to make sure that spare parts are available should you ever need them.
5. Customized functions and programs for different preparations
Bread, pizza, roasted and braised desserts require different cooking methods, just as ceramic and porcelain products may require control of the cooking cycles with digital instruments and microprocessors.
To get the most out of your oven, you need to make sure before purchasing that the model is equipped with the cooking programs you need and that it offers the possibility of memorizing the most suitable combinations for your production.
Some activities may require heat at specific stages of the process, while others require greater control of the humidity in the cooking chamber in order to obtain the right degree of softness.
Products such as brioches, for example, need a jet of steam in the front part of the oven, in order to give the crust a shine and the right composition.
Consequently, based on your type of production, you need to select the oven that has the most suitable functions, or consider a model that allows you to range in the technique used by offering more cooking modes.
Among the many functions, particularly useful, could be that of the automatic pre-ignition, thanks to which it is not necessary to go to the workplace well in advance to turn on the oven.
In addition, one aspect that is often not paid attention to is that of cleaning. Yet daily sanitizing work tools is an operation that requires time and specific products.
Gas powered pizza oven such as Italforni’s Windy, for example, are also designed to meet this need by offering an effective, fast and ecological car wash system.
Having an oven that is immediately understandable and easy to use offers concrete support during work.
6. Production capacity and automation
Before making any choice, it is good to evaluate the quantity of products that you intend to cook daily or, at least, have a goal of what you would like to achieve in your laboratory or kitchen.
Only in this way, in fact, will it be possible to choose the professional gas oven that has a production capacity suitable for your business. Usually this parameter is also reported in the technical data sheet of the model being considered, so as to be able to compare multiple solutions.
The decision to purchase a gas tunnel oven is generally motivated by the need to increase the quantities of food produced. It may therefore be useful to evaluate the degree of independence that these models can offer, thanks to two fundamental characteristics:
- Adjustment of processing speed
- Temperature control
7. Installation and maintenance of gas powered pizza ovens
A solution for every need
Professional gas ovens can be used for multiple uses, just like electric ones. Based on the sector in which they are inserted we have:
- Furnaces for firing materials
- Food ovens
The first category includes all those gas ovens specially designed for cooking objects made of different materials such as, for example, ceramics or the processing of glass paste.
While gas ovens for food can be considered all those tools capable of cooking food in a more or less automatic way and which can be multi-storey, or tunnel like in the case of industrial productions.
Ovens intended for food use can be divided into two further types:
- Multi-level ovens: they have cooking chambers arranged on different levels and are made of steel sheet, so as to ensure the greatest possible thermal insulation. This type of tools is mainly used in pastry shops and pizzerias, contributing to the cooking of baked goods
- Tunnel ovens: their operation is based on a belt which, by automatically sliding, carries the food along the entire length of the oven. The temperature and speed are manually adjusted by the operator. Thanks to their structure, tunnel ovens allow to optimize production, both in terms of quantity and variety, proving to be the best allies for products such as pizzas, wraps and croutons.
Let’s now analyze in detail how professional gas ovens fit into different activities.
Gas powered pizza oven: practical, economical and safe
When it comes to pizza, combining tradition and modernity is not always easy. Yet modern gas ovens, designed specifically for this sector, are able to guarantee performance at the level of wood-fired ovens, historically the symbol of Italian pizzeria.
Professional gas ovens for pizza are usually designed for LPG or methane systems and reach temperatures of around 450° C.
The models falling into this type are generally equipped with a fireplace for the discharge of fumes, anti-scald handles and a whole series of accessories that facilitate their use.
The strengths of gas-fired ovens for this sector are linked to energy saving, practicality in use and the ability to reach high temperatures in a short time, allowing the optimal cooking of pizzas.
Robustness and functionality are two other characteristics common to most pizzeria solutions.
The sturdiness is given by the aluminized steel sheet of which the cooking chambers of the oven are made, while the functionality is mainly guaranteed by the counterbalanced opening doors, by the internal lighting and by the independent chambers with electronic temperature regulation.
Also not to be underestimated during the purchase is the ease of cleaning: in fact, gas tools usually do not have resistances that could make the hygiene process longer.
Gas-fired ovens are often thought of as more dangerous tools than professional electric models.
In fact, all Italforni gas powered pizza ovens offer maximum reliability and strictly comply with the European Union directives on safety, hygiene and respect for the environment.
In fact, each instrument is equipped with special safety valves and ensures rapid steam discharge.
Wanting to summarize the advantages offered by professional gas ovens for pizzerias we have:
- Practicality: to turn the oven on and off just flick a simple switch, while to adjust the desired temperature simply adjust the thermometer knob or set the desired program via the display
- Cleaning: thanks to the gas supply (LPG or methane), the installation of soot suppressors is not required or necessary
- Economy: the hourly gas consumption required to power a professional oven is generally low. Furthermore, thanks to the electronic control unit there is a saving in consumption while fully respecting the environment. The modular flame offers the possibility to lower the flame in the absence of orders, thus reducing consumption
- Reliability: all burners respond to strict control protocols. In addition, the tools are tested before being placed on the market
- Optimal cooking: the pizza will be cooked evenly
- Respect for the environment: as for the electric oven, the gas one does not require special filters to be applied to the flue as it does not have the latter. In addition, the particular blown burners of which some models are equipped together with the forced-type air intake, together with the heat exchanger, allow considerable economic and ecological advantages.
Gas ovens for pastry, bakery and gastronomy
Gas ovens for bakeries or pastry shops work with a burner placed under the floor that generates the heat and distributes it in the cooking chamber.
The process of temperature diffusion occurs through irradiation, that is when the surface parts of the cakes are exposed to the hot rays of the oven; while, in a second phase, the heat spreads by convection through the movement of hot air inside the chamber.
The gas oven, following its ignition, operates at maximum until the desired temperature is reached, after which it reduces the power and keeps the set heat constant for all the time necessary for cooking.
Furthermore, the electronic management of the oven allows you to cook in different ways even during the same cooking cycle.
Why choose a gas oven?
Certainly for its convenience, but also because the gas powered models do not require a lot of maintenance.
The gas, in fact, does not need to be controlled while cooking food, offers the possibility of having a continuous flame and does not require a flue.
For this reason, many catering businesses opt for this type of solution, which turns out to be ideal for those who do not have the space or the predisposition to install the flue in their premises.
To orient yourself in choosing the best gas powered pizza oven for your laboratory or kitchen, you must first identify:
- What is the quantity of products that must be cooked every day
- What are the types of food that you want to offer to your customers
Only after having identified these two parameters will it be possible to proceed with the search for the perfect instrument.
A good gas oven for bakeries and pastry shops must have very specific characteristics so that it can integrate with the business structure and meet its growth objectives.
Before buying your instrument, you should therefore pay attention to:
- Versatility and dimensions: the oven must be selected based on the space available and the production objectives to be achieved. Investing in a resistant and long-lasting oven that, in the event that the business is transferred, can move easily represents safety and considerable savings
- Quality of the materials used for construction: the use of quality refractory materials becomes even more important, because they help to perfectly diffuse the heat and to cook confectionery products in a widespread way. Furthermore, the gas models must be equipped with heat exchangers that allow high efficiency and lower energy consumption
- Easy cleaning of the cooking chamber: easily eliminating food residues from the oven saves time and energy that can be dedicated to other activities
- Quantity of products that must be cooked during the day
- Usability of the preset programs: a functional display decreases the errors that can be made in the regulation of the temperature or in the times dedicated to the process. Greater precision, thanks to the automation of processes, is essential in baking desserts
- Presence of a steamer: some pastry products need a high degree of humidity, it is therefore advisable for the oven to be equipped with this accessory. To avoid the accumulation of steam when the door is opened, in some cases it is possible to customize the oven with a forced suction system
- Ease of use: to make laboratory work as easy and convenient as possible, an intuitive and easy-to-use oven is always a good choice.
To ensure a perfect and adequate yield for each type of cake, the oven must be able to handle different cooking operations with a full load of any product.
There are products, for example, which by their nature, especially in the first moments of cooking, require a high percentage of humidity.
Static and ventilated or mixed: the cooking possibilities
Some gas oven models for pastry, bakery and gastronomy offer the possibility to choose the type of cooking desired between two different options:
To get the most out of your oven, you need to be clear about the characteristics that differentiate them and the peculiarities of each one.
1. Static cooking
The oven, such as ECOGAS, in this case, spreads the heat inside the chamber by radiation, without the air being moved by special fans. This type of cooking is widely used in pastry shops and bakeries because it is particularly suitable for their production.
It is also possible to open or close the oven valves to maintain or release the steam released during cooking.
2. Ventilated or mixed cooking
In ventilated cooking, the heat reaches the dish through forced ventilation which allows the oven not only to be much more effective, but also to reduce the time required to take the food out of the oven.
Ventilated gas ovens such as Windy usually have large chambers that can accommodate many pans. Cooking takes place through the heat emanating from the blown burners, combined with air ventilation that favors cooking uniformity.
Unlike static cooking, ventilated cooking tends to dry the products more. However, many of the modern ventilated ovens have the advantage of being able to use functions that exploit steam and offer the ability to control the humidity in the chamber.
In mixed cooking, both hot air and steam are introduced into the chamber at the same time.
This creates an ideal environment for cooking sweets, as, thanks to the high humidity, a high heat transmission capacity and a uniform temperature are obtained.
To make the difference in the cooking phase are also the raw materials used and the recipe you want to make.
Professional gas oven for cooking ceramic and porcelain
Leaving aside the food sector and moving into the world of professional gas ovens for cooking materials, we find tools made to reach extremely high temperatures, which reach almost 1550° C.
The basic operation remains unchanged, but in this case the mounted burners are at high speed with turbine and there is always a double safety system made with approved equipment.
Insulated in ceramic fiber, muffled refractory slab or refractory bricks of the best quality, the models for firing majolica are able to guarantee perfect firings, especially for third fires, applications in gold and lustres or enamels.
Let’s see what are the 4 main characteristics that a professional gas oven must have in order to perform well in ceramic firing.
- Homogeneous temperature distribution: the ability to manage heat plays a fundamental role in stemming possible errors during the cooking process. Especially since this phase in the realization of ceramic products is very long and delicate. Having a gas oven that allows automatic temperature recovery with pre-programmed gradient in the event of a power failure helps to save time and resources, essential elements for any activity
- Optimal thermal insulation: in order to fully control the internal temperature, it is not enough to have a perfect mechanism, but it is also necessary that the oven is made with materials that guarantee correct thermal insulation, thus avoiding unnecessary heat loss
- Adjustment with pre-set programs: the best gas ovens on the market have a control panel, capable of memorizing cooking cycles, easy to use and able to control cooking absolutely free of thermal shocks, with final and descent temperature aintenance controlled
- Capacity of the cooking chamber and management of the height of the top: the size of the products to be cooked determines the dimensions of the oven. Having the possibility, however, to adjust the hob, helps to make the professional gas oven modular to meet every need.
All the features just seen allow an easy and efficient use of the gas oven for ceramics, regardless of the volume and quantity of charge inserted.
Ultimately: what is the best gas powered pizza oven?
We have seen what are the different types and characteristics to be evaluated in order to choose a professional gas oven made with cutting-edge materials and technology. But which is the best?
There is no single answer to this question. Each pizza chef, pastry chef or artist creates different products both in qualitative and quantitative terms.
Not to mention that everyone has their own technique, has more or less large rooms and can make use of expert collaborators or apprentices.
The perfect oven is the one that is most able to integrate and adapt to your business and your way of working, facilitating the cooking process as much as possible.
Today the market offers gas powered pizza ovens that are increasingly efficient, precise and above all safe, with countless different functions and characteristics that are well suited to meet everyone’s needs.